My Dad

I called my daddy this morning. 
Just to check and see.
Just to make sure that he knew I loved him.
Just to call for no reason at all.

Because with my daddy, most times the phone calls have a sole purpose. Not to check in on him, not to say hi to him, but because I need something or want something. 

I had a terrible dream last night that my dad passed away suddenly. I dreamed I was going about my daily activities and then I received a phone call and my world came crashing down in an instant. Crazy thing was that in my dream, I dreamed the night before that he was going to die and I didn't do anything about it. I didn't call him, I didn't say I love you, I just ignored it in my dream. 

I woke up sobbing because I thought that it was real. It wasn't real - my dad was still sleeping next to my mom where he usually is at night. But my heart and the pain I was feeling was real. 

I love my dad so very much and I don't want to imagine my life without him there. It would be hard and painful. So I called him and I told him why I was calling and I totally broke down and cried and he knew, he understood. He has had bad dreams before too. 

But now, I am thankful for that bad dream because it reminded me to stop taking the people that I love for granted. My dad won't be here forever and that's ok because I know where he will go. And I know that when you do lose someone, God gives you that perfect peace that passes understanding because HE is in control, not me. 

Do you have someone you need to call? Just to say hi? Just to say "I love you?" Don't put it off! It doesn't matter if they might think you're silly - my dad could have done that when I called, he could have laughed and said "Don't worry about it." But he didn't because he was reminded how much I love him and that is worth all the bad dreams in the world. 

In HIS Grip, 
               

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet post. A few years ago I dreamed that my dad was hit by a car while pulled over to help someone change a tire. It was SO real and I called him at an unconventional hour just to check on him. I totally agree that I can't imagine my life without him.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a blessing and encouragement to me! If you have a question or comment that you would like to ask, feel free to comment below or email me at Ann@StringerMama.com! I look forward to hearing from you!