Oatmeal Temptations


Once again I received a little lesson about God from my children today. I thought I would share it with you. This morning I decided to serve my kids Strawberry oatmeal. Cody devoured it in minutes, Aimee however, decided that she didn't like it even before she knew what it was. She wanted cereal. period. So regardless of what I was going to feed my little girl, if it wasn't exactly what she wanted, it was going to result in a complete meltdown. After many tears and grumblings my daughter finally ate the required two bites. I was contemplating the experience and marveling how such a little thing can cause such grief and seemingly torture to Aimee. She is not the only one however, Cody can have a complete hysteria fit in the event that his sister takes one of his toys or he's hungry and mom is not making his food fast enough for him. These problems that seem like such mountains to them are like little tiny bumps to me. But yet, I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 10:13 which says "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." God allows trials to come into our lives that are suitable to where we are in maturity. A toy that is lost, or a disagreement with a sibling are suitable trials for my young children but have no meaning to me. The trials that I face are more along the lines of "what are we going to do if the apartment floods?" or "what are we going to do this summer after Sam graduates?" or a more daily concern of developing patience during the sinful little meltdowns of my kids. We all have trials that affect us on a daily basis, some are common, others are extremely difficult. Trials can quickly become temptations to fail. As a mom, I have to teach my kids how to respond when they don't want to eat their oatmeal or when their sibling takes their toys. As a child of God I have to take my own trials and learn how to glorify Him through it. I can know that God allows my trial, but also that it matches where I am in maturity and that there is a way not only to escape from the temptation, but a way to bring Him glory through my actions.

1 comment:

  1. And yet as you grow older and have to watch your children go through the things you already have gone through, all we can do is to trust our Lord and pray for His protection for our children and our grandchildren! Just to let you know I am praying for all of you!!!! Dad

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a blessing and encouragement to me! If you have a question or comment that you would like to ask, feel free to comment below or email me at Ann@StringerMama.com! I look forward to hearing from you!