Few of My Faves: Books to Grow By

There are times in my Christian life where God really GRIPS me. God teaches me a lesson that I needed at just the right timing! Often those lessons have taken place through the avenue of reading GOOD BOOKS! Each one of these books has provided a life-changing moment or moments that has left me FOREVER different and closer to God in my walk.

1. God's Word - You know, I could totally say that this is a no-brainer that this would be at the top of my list of books to grow by but then I would have to confess that for the majority of my Christian life I DID NOT RECOGNIZE how much I needed to stay in the Bible in order to grow closer to God. It's so very important to life and godliness!

2. Discliplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes - This book challenged me on many many levels of my walk with God as it pertains to being a woman. I had to read this book in pieces because one, I'm a mom and that's what happens with ALL of my reading and two, this book needs to be absorbed not simply read in order to make the most impact!

3. Loving God With All Your Mind by Elisabeth George - I've read this book and gone through the study guide twice now and this book is WONDERFUL! My mind always needs focused to the right place and thinking on what is good and true and this book speeds that along greatly!

4. For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn - I truly enjoyed this book primarily because of all of the conversations it sparked between myself and my husband. I do want to mention however, that this book is a little scant on Biblical focus. It addresses a large survey done among men that conflicted with what women perceived in men. So if you're struggling with communicating with your husband or you feel as though he doesn't understand you - maybe it's you! This book helps!

5. More Love to Thee by Sharon James - A friend recommended this book to me and I'm SOOO glad she did! This is a biography of the life of Elizabeth Prentiss author of the hymn "More Love to Thee."She was a normal woman who went through many trials and sickness in her life but constantly strived to live a life pleasing to God even if she didn't understand her circumstances. She was a Pastor's wife and a mom and I could completely identify with her and her thoughts! FANTASTIC!

6. Safely Home by Randy Alcorn - You may wonder why I put a fiction book as a book to grow by, but trust me, this book will make you grow! This is a book about being a Christian in China and it is eye-opening! This book is REALLY REALLY hard to put down so don't start it if you don't have enough time to devote to it! This book completely changed my world-view and broadened my horizons. I became completely thankful for the country (regardless of it's faults!) I claim as my own. I also was humbled by my lack of faith and dependence on God and His Word. My father-in-law, an avid reader gave this book to me for Christmas one year because it had the same impact on him!

7. Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman - This is hands-down the best book on biblical parenting I have EVER encountered! This book mixes just enough biblical principles with practical methods that provided me with a solid path of where we were going in the parenting world! So thankful a fellow mom recommended this to me!

8. Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver - This book hits me to my core. I am a MARTHA!! I struggle with focusing my priorities OFF the practical and focusing them on God and the spiritual. While being a Martha isn't all BAD I definitely need to balance the two Mary and Martha values in my life and this book helps me do that! LOVE it!

I'm sure there are more books that have helped me grow in my Christian walk and I know that there will be more to come. Even writing this blog post has caused me to remember to get back on my reading! You would think that pregnancy would help me slow down a bit and read more but for some reason, I haven't been reading much at all lately. I think the next book I will pick up is a book I haven't read since I was a young teen "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. She is one of my heroes of the faith and I'm shocked at how many people have NOT heard of this woman! She is INCREDIBLE! What book comes to mind when you think of a book that caused you to GROW? Please SHARE!!! :0)

I decided to not do a linky to this post because of lack of interest but feel free to put a link in the comments if you want to do your own Fave list!
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I am an avid reader but I can honestly say I haven't read any of these (expect for the Bible, of course lol)! I do hope to though and will keep my eyes peeled now for these titles. I love reading, there is nothing like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, my link didn't work, so just re-posting! ;0)
    I very much enjoy "Loving God With All Your Mind" Elisabeth has so many wonderful books! Great reading!

    I created a post and was sadden to hear you won't be hosting a linky. :0( Perhaps interest will pick up?! I plan to keep writing my favorites...thanks for such a wonderful idea!

    {esther}
    Our Simple Country Life - "There Is A God Favorites"

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a blessing and encouragement to me! If you have a question or comment that you would like to ask, feel free to comment below or email me at Ann@StringerMama.com! I look forward to hearing from you!