ABC Bible Verses in ESV

I just took on a project that took WAY TOO much time NOT to share it with people! I wanted to have my children memorize one Bible verse each week for school. Since we are studying one letter of the alphabet a week, I thought having a verse for each letter would be perfect! I would just Google a search for "ABC Bible Verses" and Wah-lah! Done. It was not to be. What I wanted could not be found. What I did find all used the King James Version - which I don't have a problem with at all for myself, but I prefer using words my kids will or have already spoken to improve understanding. Some lists had a verse about how drunkards would not enter heaven! Honestly, I was a little baffled by THAT one! WHY I would want to use a verse about drunkenness for my child who is learning the ABC's I have NO IDEA! So I made one myself.

Here's what I wanted:
  1. A verse that BEGAN with the letter 
  2. A verse that was relevant to my children 
  3. A verse in a version that was easy to understand 
  4. A verse that was an entire verse or obvious section of the verse. 
  5. A verse that is short enough for my two-year-old to learn in a week.
I am too picky apparently. But have no fear! If I want something done right, (or at least my way!) I will do it myself! So here they are - ABC Bible Verses in the English Standard Version that are short, easy to understand and contextual AND they all start with the letter of the alphabet - except for X - not happening!

Feel free to use these however you want to! Just leave me a comment and let me know that my hours of effort were appreciated! ;0)

A - All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

B - “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved.” Acts 16:31

C - Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Ephesians 6:1

D – Delight yourself in the Lord. Psalm 37:4

E - Even a child makes himself known by his acts. Proverbs 20:11

F - Fear not, for I am with you. Isaiah 41:10

G – “Give thanks to the Lord of hosts, for the Lord is good.” Jeremiah 33:11

H - Honor your father and mother. Matthew 19:19

I - If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God James 1:5

J - Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

K - Know that the Lord, he is God! Psalm 100:3

L - Listen to advice and accept instruction. Proverbs 19:20

M - Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Psalm 100:1

N – No one can serve two masters Matthew 6:24

O – Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Psalm 95:6

P – Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

Q – Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; James 1:19

R – Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.” Exodus 20:8

S – Submit yourselves therefore to God. James 4:7

T – Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Psalm 143:10

U – Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture 1 Timothy 4:13

V – Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord. Romans 12:19

W – “We must obey God rather than men.” Acts 5:29

X – Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. 2 Corinthians 13:5

Y – You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Matthew 22:39

Z – “Zacchaeus, hurry and come down, for I must stay at your house today.” Luke 19:5

In HIS Grip, 
               

30 comments:

  1. Thank you!! I am so useing this. I am also posting it on my blog so my homeschool group can use these too! Great Work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for doing this! my husband's mom taught him the alphabet using scripture, but i like how you used an updated translation. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing and I'm sure it really took a long time! Thank you for sharing! I'm pregnant now, but I was going to save it so when our baby girl is older I can pull it out. So you think age 2 is a good age to start this sort of thing? Also, how do you teach them in for memorization? Do you just keep reading it over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad other people will use this too! It makes it worth all the hard work!

    Lori - I would say as soon as your child is speaking in sentences is as good a time as any! I get both of my kids to repeat after me 2-3 words at a time until they learn that part then add the rest. I teach one verse a week and it works great! I think they will actually retain it! Some kids are naturals - for example my four-year-old has a harder time learning it then my two-year-old! Just see how your child does and don't stress about it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen - sounds great! Let me know what the link is so I can share it on Facebook :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome! I am definitely printing this page. Thank you, thank you!! :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Thank you for all of the time you put into this and sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, I will! I am not sure what day I have it posting I. I will link it when it post. Do you do the same as me by posting several things one day so you can have free time and set them for different days of the week?

    I just wanted to say I love your blog it is so cute and you have a beautiful family!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen - Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't! lol - it's just when the writing comes to me or God lays it on my heart that I really get to writing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ann! I did this with my daughter when she was 3 and she still knows the verses with the letters at age 10. I'm sure they'll retain it! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do the very same thing, and we use the Harrow family's CD: 'Sing the Word A to Z' for our verses.

    It is such a wonderful way to help them hide His Word in their hearts (...and Mommy's heart, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ann,
    Here is the link to my post http://jenmammaof4.blogspot.com/2011/09/abc-bible-verses.html
    Thank you so much for your hard work on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your hard work. I was able to Google "ABC Bible verses, ESV" and Whah-la!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome, Ann.. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for doing the hard work to put this together! My husband and I decided that our 2.5 year old should start learning verses and she's obsessed with the alphabet so I thought ABC verses would be a great way to start. Thanks for giving us this fabulous resource (and saving me a lot of time!).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for all of your hard work!! What a blessing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Samantha KiesslingJune 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM

    Thank you so much. I was also having trouble finding verses that I felt were easy enough and worded for my almost 3 year old to understand. These are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you so much for posting this! i am wanting to start an alphabet letter a week next year with my two year old and this was such a great tool for me to use when looking at the bible verse section of teaching him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your efforts! My little guy just turned two and I'm looking forward to starting this with him!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This list is exactly what I was looking for! My oldest just turned 2 and we are starting ABCs and we want God's Word to be where we start! I have made the verses into coloring sheets by making the font on the paper an outline. He loves 'coloring' it and saying the verse! Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much! I was so impressed when I heard my niece recite these verses so clearly and easily after learning them at her Pre-school in Florida. I live in Indiana and was hoping to get a copy to use in our 4 Year Olds Sunday School Class. I was thrilled to find them online. Again, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes!!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you! Just perfect for our memory project in youth group!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your efforts are much appreciated at Crawford Baptist Church! We are using these in Children's Church!:) Thanks for your time!:)
    Jill
    my blog http://ericjill.blogspot.com
    church site: www.crawfordbaptistchurch.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks, this will be great with my toddler and preschooler!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you! We use these at Crawford Baptist Church in Crawford, Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How foolish of me to think I could find the exact thing you were looking for. We usually use the ESV at home and were looking for a verse a week to do with our 4 year old and 2 year old. My search criteria was almost exactly as you listed. So, thanks for your hard work. We'll be "borrowing" your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much Ann for your hard work. Your work is such a blessing. We have ABC verses, but changed to ESV and after an afternoon of finding a font I can print in a traceable format for my goddaughters I decided to do a search and there was your page! Several of the verses are the same, but the ones I was missing were right there. Your hard work is an example of Isaiah 55:11.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a blessing and encouragement to me! If you have a question or comment that you would like to ask, feel free to comment below or email me at Ann@StringerMama.com! I look forward to hearing from you!