Marriage is hard work but so worth it!

Sam and I have had our ups and downs in our married life. A lot of people will tell you the first year is the hardest. If you make it through that year, you'll be good for life. This is NOT true! Our first year was marital bliss! I don't think we argued or had a dispute or anything that first year. We may not have agreed all of the time but we always worked it out by just talking. Considering that we moved twice and I became pregnant after 6 months of marriage, it was still a fantastic year that both Sam and I look back at as holding some of the sweetest memories in our love story.

Now. We've learned A LOT. We've learned so much about each other and each other's sin nature (and our own for that matter!). We've had our fights. We've had our disagreements. We've even had nights when one or both of us went to sleep angry at the other. (!!!GASP!!!) Things have happened that we never dreamed would happen in our love story. When we were first married we would look at married people sitting in church that did not have their arm around each other or were not touching each other in some way and we would say to each other - "That will NEVER be us!!!" Well guess what. We were WRONG!!!

We thought we would always hold hands whenever we were together. Well guess what. We were WRONG!!!

We thought we would always want to be with the other person ALL THE TIME no matter what. Well guess what. We were WRONG!!!

Our love story was going to be perfect - after all, we were IN LOVE more than anyone else could possibly imagine! Well guess what. We were WRONG!!!

Sometimes, I miss the times when holding Sam's hand would give me goosebumps. Sometimes, I miss talking in the wee hours of the morning just to be connected verbally. How many conversations I remember when we would be on the phone together and one of us would say "are you still there?" just to hear the other person say "yes" and then lapse back into silence while on the phone. Seriously you may ask? Yes it's true. Now it's "I don't have anything else to say - talk to you later!"

Yes our love story has morphed into something totally different than what it was.

BUT

I wouldn't trade it in a million years for what we have now. Our bond is so much stronger now. We've gone through some tough stuff, some uneven ground, some painful heart hurts, and we know there is more to come. But we are committed to each other. No matter what. Knowing that is amazing and priceless. Worth so much more than holding hands or having Sam's arm around me, or having a no argument record. In the beginning, I did not even fathom that kind of commitment though if you had asked me, I would have said I did. I thought I did. Well guess what. I was WRONG!!!

I just saw this video for the first time a couple of days ago and I couldn't help laughing through my tears because of how very true some of the stuff in this video is! It's funny, and my husband did not exactly understand why I was crying and laughing because it did nothing for him but to me it was just a reminder that mushy love and feelings come and go but real love is trust and commitment and Sam will always be my Romeo.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing. I have seen so many people think that something is wrong with your marriage if you don't do those things anymore. But it's not! You might not do them all the time, but you still do them, and they still mean as much to you as they used to. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori - I fixed the video link! It was moved to Godtube :0)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a blessing and encouragement to me! If you have a question or comment that you would like to ask, feel free to comment below or email me at Ann@StringerMama.com! I look forward to hearing from you!